Hanging in there, Internet? Are you seeing any improvements overall yet, or have you just pretty much stuck to the challenges alone? Also, have you met this new banner? Bellwether made it. FREAKIN’ ADORABLE. Anyway, Internet, let’s get right to it, because I want to get this post up early. I’m really counting on you for comments on this one, and I want to give you maximum thinky time for today’s topic.
Today’s Topic: Let’s Help Each Other Out
Ok, so, we’ve been at this for a little while now. I mean, it’s only the 4th challenge, but you guys have really taken to this thing, judging by a lot of the feedback I’m getting. Everything is actually happening exactly like I hoped, really. I am sure a lot of people are following along with the comments and working their way up, and that’s totally excellent. Other people have taken it a step further and are really starting to note and focus on their own commenting habits outside of the challenges as well, which brings me to today’s topic.
What tips can you give to your fellow Future People Who Comment? What have you found works for you in terms of motivating yourself to make comments?
Let me tell you some of mine.
1. I use the Better GReader extension for Firefox. Once installed, it lets me basically visit the site and comment from inside Google Reader. Kiss your “I like to read through a feed reader” excuse goodbye, kids.
2. When I’m feeling particularly hardcore, I do not allow myself to read blog posts – not even from my most favoritest, most hilariousest bloggers – if I’m not in the mood or don’t have the time to comment. If I don’t have the time or motivation to comment, I don’t have the time to read the blogs. You may not be as into self-punishment as I am, and that’s ok.
So how about you? How are you motivating yourself to become a Person Who Comments? When you’re about to click on to the next blog without making a peep, what makes you have that second thought and go ahead and comment? Is what you feel you get out of commenting serving as motivation at all?
Hey, while we’re talking about it, what are you getting out of your burgeoning commenting habits?
Today’s Challenge: Breaking Bad Habits
To Be Completed by: Thursday, November 19. A FULL WEEK.
Challenge: You may think this is a cop out, Internet, but bear with me. We’re trying to develop a HABIT here, and to develop a good habit, we have to overcome bad habits. You have a full week to break one of the following habits:
1. Reluctance to leave a “Me, too” comment if you feel other people have already said what you would have said; OR
2. Deciding not to comment because you don’t feel like you’d fit in with current or regular commenters on a certain blog; OR
3. Not commenting because you assume that the blogger doesn’t want to hear/doesn’t care about what you have to say; OR
4. Any other fear or insecurity that keeps you from commenting on a certain blog or blogs in general.
Basically – define your biggest commenting block (INSECURITY!) and force yourself to break it, repeatedly, for a full week. In order to become People Who Comment, I think we need to find all the little reasons that we are not YET People Who Comment and stomp them out.
When you’re finished, be sure to email me at PeopleWhoComment [at] gmail.com. Include a link to your favorite post that you’ve written recently, or favorite post that you’ve read recently if you don’t have a blog of your own. Links will be chosen at random for the Practice Section of the next post! I know very well that a lot of you are doing the challenges and not sending and email and you should know – if you’re not sending your email, you are RUINING my LIFE.
I’ve assigned a number to all of the emails sent to me after the first challenge and chosen three at random. If you feel like practicing your comments, go flex your muscles on some of your fellow Becoming People Who Comment Challenge participants!
This week, Carries submitted this post about heebiejeebies and surprise wasps, which actually sounds WAY WORSE than surprise penises.
Emma submitted a post from her younger brother’s blog, about a basset hound meet up. I did not know such adorable things existed. Basset hound meet ups, not basset hounds. I knew they existed.
And, one more for the WoW fans, from Adlib – a submission that made her laugh: The Sleazy Fun of Cheap Shots from Mortigan the Lock.